Butter and Egg

Hello Parents! It has been a busy past couple weeks. I cannot believe that we are almost to Thanksgiving break! While we returned from our retreat last week, I want to share some pictures and tell you about the kids’ experiences.

Our time at Butter and Egg was split into three categories: Zip-lines and Ropes Courses, Team Building, and Leisure Time. Each piece enriched the other and it was fun to see the kids grow over the few days we were there.

When we arrived at Butter and Egg, it was lunchtime. The kids dropped their bags in the bunkhouse, then headed to the cafeteria for from burgers. After everyone had enough to eat, Ms.Susan led the students in a variety of team building exercises. I wont lie, the first couple games got the kids loosened up and having fun, but as the challenges got more complicated, I think most of us would agree that the experience pretty rough. The kids were anxious to jump on a zip line, and not as concerned with learning the ropes of working as a group. Many were not used to listening to one another and respecting each others’ ideas. It seemed that because they were all friends, each felt confident to share, but instead of taking turns listening, voices got muddled and feelings were hurt. I only mention this struggle, because it was a merely a starting point. Learning is not easy. Life is not easy. Middle School is awkward and kids are trying to figure out the balance between childhood, and awareness of their community. It was obvious that each truly cared about assuming responsibility and helping, but it was difficult to find each others’ boundaries, and, maybe mostly, take a breath and listen.

After a bit of frustration, we headed to the main building and suited up for the first day of zip lining and ropes course. As a whole, these activities came easier to many of the students as they were challenging themselves. Their responsibility to the other was being a cheerleader. Your kids are wonderful in the fact that they are not shy in lifting each other up. They shouted words of encouragement, and also comforted those that struggled. Young friendship is beautiful to watch in action. Judging by their fierce support of each other, I have no doubt that many of these kids will keep in touch through out their lives.

By the second day, the team building challenges came easier. I think many of the students enjoyed the competitive aspects (these activities were team challenges), but also the listening and management of tasks seemed less painful. When one team would finish, they would support the other, waiting patiently and cheering them on. Team Pepper (the reigning champions) were careful to show Team Salt that they would not be left behind, and often empathized with the challenges their friends faced.

By Saturday afternoon, the trip just flowed. Following team challenges, students tested themselves by climbing the pamper pole, and the climbing wall. I think we may all agree that the pamper pole was aptly named, pushing many of us to our limit. Then, in the evening, we enjoyed s’mores, games, and a movie. Laughter abounded. Groups joined, and became one unit.

As always, thank you for trusting us with your kids. I love Butter and Egg because it is a short trip that yields deep reflection and growth. I hope they shared their dynamic experience with you. This week, we worked on writing descriptive moments of their journey. I think the time was meaningful because after very little push, it is the best narrative writing I have received across the board all year. While they don’t know this yet, I will push them to edit and proofread next week, because the paragraphs are so good I want them to have these moments polished for their keeping.

Please enjoy some of our pictures. I will try to send out more as I sort through them all. Have a wonderful three-day weekend, and as always, if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out.

This entry was posted on November 11, 2022. Bookmark the permalink.